The design of the RaceAbout2002 aims to communicate with itīs surroundings and to tell a story about the feelings, actions and the passion and the pride that are all connected to the process of building this sports car.
The design is strongly based to the actual purpose of the car and therefore following function and usability: everything extra has been left away and both the exterior and the interior have been carried out taking notice to aerodynamics and the drivers needs.
The realization of this design principle makes the RaceAbout2002 an honest product; it doesnīt try to be anything else that it actually is, a working race car for both track and street use.
- General design themes, a wedgelike, forward leaning, wide in proportion to hight, are expressing the vehicles characteristics and resources.
- The form follows the structure of the chassis: the middle line is low and the fenders are raised.
- The design of the body is underlining the carīs two characters (track and street), the dynamic and tense forms in the frontend are transforming to agressive and angular towards the rearend.
- The forward leaning shutlines are telling the facts of the carīs brutal potential and are overflowing with exploding kinetic energy even when the car is standing still.
- The bodyīs strong openings are expressing the layered structure: Under the durable carbon fibre skin is the light aluminium structure together forming a functional whole.
- The aluminium structure is occasionally flashing through the large air intake openings.
- Lucidity and functionality are also continued in the design of the interior and in the material choices.
- In the cockpit only the essential has been covered with panels and the most of the aluminium monocoque has been left open. The form and the structure of the interior panels are carrying out the theme of lightness and functionality.
- The seats and the panels are all upholstered with Connolly leather. The tailoring work was done by Andyīs Leather.
- The cockpiit is a tool between the driver and the chassis.
- The instruments have been layed out in terms of drivers ergonomics and usability. The turbo pressure indicator and the tachometer have been placed to the left and the others like speedometer to the right from the driver to get the best possible visibility.
- Interior panels are all detachable.
- Like the whole design process, also the interior design has been very thorough. All the parts and components were custom built, even meter covers have been machined from solid aluminium and all the interior panelīs screws have been specially made from stainless steel for this purpose.